COME AND FILL YOUR HEART WITH THE SIGHTS AND SOUNDS OF THE SEASON!
November 28: Watch
December 5: Prepare
December 12: Rejoice
December 19: Behold
December 24: Christmas Eve
December 25: Christmas Day
December 26: First Sunday of Christmas
January 2: Second Sunday of Christmas
January 9: First Sunday of Epiphany
Lighting of the Advent Candles
NOVEMBER 28, DECEMBER 5, DECEMBER 12, DECEMBER 19
Each week during worship, we light advent candles in anticipation of Christ’s birth. Join us during these weeks of expectation to prepare for the birth of Jesus.
GIVE TO THE ANGEL TREE, NOVEMBER 24 – DECEMBER 12
Choose a virtual ornament and then donate gift cards for blankets, meals and gifts for children and families in need.
PREPARE YOUR HEART THROUGH AN ADVENT DEVOTIONAL
Download your free Advent devotional, “Advent Unbound: A pilgrimage through Advent based on the Poetry Unbound podcast” – a perfect way to prepare for the hope, peace, joy, and love of Christmas day.
CALM YOUR SOUL AT HOLDEN EVENING PRAYER SERVICES, DECEMBER 1, 8 & 15 AT 7 P.M.
Join us for midweek Holden Evening Prayer worship services to fill your heart with the sights and sounds of hope this Advent season! Written in 1985-1986 while Marty Haugen was the musician-in-residence at Holden Village, a Lutheran retreat center in Washington State, this lovely setting of vespers follows the traditional form while using contemporary and inclusive language.
BEHOLD “LOVE’S PURE LIGHT” AT THE DRIVE-THRU ADVENT/CHRISTMAS CELEBRATION, DECEMBER 11 FROM 6-8 P.M.
Gethsemane youth and Gethsemane Lutheran Children’s Ministry invite you to join us for “Love’s Pure Light,” this year’s Drive-Thru Advent/Christmas Light Celebration.
Christmas Eve Services – December 24 at 4 p.m., 7 p.m., 10 p.m.
FAMILY WORSHIP SERVICE AT 4 P.M.
Join us for a Family Christmas Eve carol sing and Holy Communion service.
WORSHIP WITH CANDLELIGHT, LESSONS, AND CAROLS AT 7 P.M. AND 10 P.M.
A traditional service of candlelight, Santa Lucia and Christmas apples. Listen to the familiar words of scripture that foretell and proclaim the birth of Jesus. Sing the carols that help us tell that story. All are welcome!
Christmas Day Service – Saturday, December 25 at 9 a.m.
CHRISTMAS DAY NATIVITY OF OUR LORD AT 9 A.M.
Come join in the Eucharist, singing Christmas Carols, and hear the Christmas Story.
*Due to Travis County moving to Stage 5 COVID-19 risk-based guidelines, this event is canceled.
January 14-16, 2022
Eagle Pass, TX
This is a special “encounter” or “encuentro” weekend for Gethsemane and San Lucas congregations to work side by side and expand our vision of ministry together. San Lucas is celebrating their 34 year history and Gethsemane has been a part of that ministry for over 25 of those years.
- All are “Called by Grace,” to participate: youth, singles, couples, those with and without children, from the very young to the not so young. There is something for all levels of ability. Youth under 18 are asked to have a parent or guardian along for the weekend experience.
- “Led by Faith, Welcoming All to Share God’s Love” – This is a great opportunity to work, worship, eat, and share together with the community of San Lucas.
- “God’s Work. Our Hands” – Saturday we will be working along side members of San Lucas. We will find a way for your special skills to be put to use. Part of the group will do a modified Bible School experience in the afternoon with the children in the area. We will worship in Spanish Sunday morning. Be ready for some special fun this year!
For health and safety, please wear a mask when interacting with the community. Passports or birth certificates will NOT be needed as we will not be crossing the border as a group!
For any questions, speak to Pastor Susie or Dar Joy Krenek.
- Friday arrival and check-in at hotel
- Saturday breakfast at San Lucas
- Saturday work projects will begin after breakfast
- Sunday breakfast followed by worship
WHAT TO BRING
- Snacks, games and goodies for sharing
- Musical instruments
We will be using the building and outdoor areas at Iglesia Luterana San Lucas for meals, VBS and other activities BUT will not be sleeping there. Please make your reservations at one of the motels close by. San Lucas is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, Southwest Texas Synod, in Eagle Pass, Texas.
The cost listed below for the weekend includes supplies for the work we do, and 4 meals, Saturday breakfast through Sunday breakfast (travel meals are on your own).
Cash or Check Cost (add $5 per registration to pay online):
$50 per person, ages 13 and above;
$25 per person, ages 4-12 (3 & under are free!)
$125 suggested maximum per family.
*Please make checks payable to Gethsemane Lutheran.
Payment is due by Jan. 10th.
OTHER WAYS TO HELP
Special gifts may be given to help with overall costs and to purchase bulk food for the San Lucas food bank. All financial gifts are appreciated. Give online designating Border Missions.
February 26-27, 2022
Camp Chrysalis in Kerrville, TX
Register to join us for “Walking the Faith: 40th Annual Family of Gethsemane Retreat” at Camp Chrysalis! This is a very special opportunity for friends and all members of the congregational family: singles, couples, those with and without children, from the very young to the not so young in years, but all young in spirit.
View the printed retreat brochure.
- All are “Called by Grace,” to come to a relaxed informal time to share thoughts, histories, dreams, conversations, laughter, songs, the bread and wine of communion, the fresh air of the hill country, and good food.
- “Led by Faith,” you may hike to the cross on the mountain, read your Bibles, play, eat, visit, and rock on the porch.
- “Welcoming All to Share God’s Love,” we will meet new friends and have time to relax and be with those we may not know so well. This is a great event to invite friends to share in the family life of Gethsemane.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 26
10-12 noon Registration, fellowship, set up and move into your cabins
12:00 p.m. Lunch!
1:30 p.m. All ages gather together
3:00 p.m. FREE TIME! Hike to the cross, baseball, kite flying, resting, fishing, singing, soccer, canoeing, nap, R & R, rocking, visiting
5:30 p.m. Sing–A–Long and group photo at the dining hall!
6:00 p.m. Supper
7:00 p.m. Family of Gethsemane (FOG) Talent Show
8:00 p.m. Campfire Communion Service
9:00 p.m. S’mores, games, singing
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 27
7:00 a.m. Coffee available!
8:45 a.m. Morning Worship and memorial brick laying
9:30 a.m. Sunday Brunch & Free Time
3:00 p.m. Check Out
*Schedule subject to change
WHAT TO BRING
- Sleeping bag, sheets, blankets, pillows
- Quilt for grass sitting
- Towels and washcloths
- Hiking shoes or tennis shoes
- Jacket or sweater for chilly nights
- Sports equipment
- Board games (Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary, Dominoes, Risk, cards, etc.)
- Snacks, chip, dips, sweets, etc. for evening sharing
- Musical instruments
- Talent and props for the FOG Talent Show
- Great attitude; leave troubles behind
- ONLY COMFORTABLE CLOTHES
- Sorry, no pets at the camp!
Cabins With All Three Meals (prices are per person):
Adults (13 & up): $95
Ages 4-12: $55
3 & under: Free
Tent Camp or Book Your Own Motel – if you tent or stay in a motel, these costs apply as a camp usage fee and include meals (prices are per person):
Tent campers (13 & up): $35
Ages 4-12: $18
3 & under Free
Saturday Day Use ONLY:
$25 person (includes 2 meals)
Add On Friday:
You may come in Friday evening after 7 p.m. for only $15 per person but must be reserved in advance. No meals included.
Extra offering gifts are welcomed to help cover any additional expenses and activities.
HELP PAVE THE WAY!
You can leave a lasting impression by purchasing a personalized brick, which will be installed in the pathways around Camp Chrysalis. For $75 you can inscribe 3 lines of text on a 4X4 brick.
Wednesday, November 24 at 7 p.m.
Join us in worship on Thanksgiving Eve either at the regular noon liturgy or at 7 p.m. for the annual Youth-Led Praise and Thanksgiving worship. The spirit of Thanksgiving is to give, so please bring food donations for the Gethsemane Food Pantry.
It’s that time of year again! Gethsemane Lutheran members and families are invited to continue a neighborhood holiday tradition by sponsoring T.A. Brown Elementary School children and families. Once again, we’re asking individuals/families to donate gift cards that can be purchased through Gethsemane Lutheran Children’s Ministry (GLCM).
Angel Tree Instructions
- Visit the Angel Tree Sign Up and select a family dinner and/or a child to sponsor (in the children’s slots, the M or F indicates gender). Provide your name, email, and phone number.
- Once you have signed up, visit the GLCM website to purchase gift cards from either HEB (for family dinners) or Walmart (for children gifts): PURCHASE GLCM GIFT CARDS. You may also give through Gethsemane’s online giving website. Please add 3% to your total online purchase to cover transaction fees.
- Recommended amounts: children’s gifts $50 each and family dinners: families of 3 at least $75, families of 4-5 at least $100, and families of 6-8 at least $150.
- The deadline to complete your Angel Tree gift is Sunday, December 12th.
Thank you for your support of this ministry. Merry Christmas!
Saturday, December 11, 6-8 p.m.
Gethsemane youth and Gethsemane Lutheran Children’s Ministry invite you to join us for “Love’s Pure Light,” this year’s Drive-Thru Advent/Christmas Light Celebration! We’ll have Christmas carolers, greetings from Santa and a special surprise treat for you at the end. Don’t miss out on all of the fun!
Join us for brief midweek Holden Evening Prayer worship services to fill your heart with the sights and sounds of hope this Advent season!
Written in 1985-1986 while Marty Haugen was the musician-in-residence at Holden Village, a Lutheran retreat center in Washington State, this lovely setting of vespers follows the traditional form while using contemporary and inclusive language.
Wednesdays: December 1, December 8 & December 15
7 p.m. in the Sanctuary or via Livestream
The Wednesday Night Virtual Adult Class will be held in-person on these three dates at 6:15 p.m. so that attendees can also participate in the Holden Evening Prayer worship services. This fall the class is utilizing materials from the late Henri Nouwen entitled “The Art of Living.” Now more than ever, the modern-day church community must speak a word to the world regarding the transformative power of the Christian proclamation.
Advent Unbound: A pilgrimage through Advent based on the “Poetry Unbound” podcast.
Free Online Advent Devotional Available to Gethsemane Members
God becoming incarnate in a human being is too astounding, too dazzling, too impossible an event to merely celebrate on a single day. Poetry (and podcasts!) can help. In this Advent devotional, we let scripture and “Poetry Unbound” be our guides, together pointing us toward weekly practices that can help deepen and enrich our experience of the season – a perfect way to prepare for the hope, peace, joy, and love of Christmas day.
Take Photos in Gethsemane’s Praise Pumpkin Patch!
Thanks to everyone who donated pumpkins to help fill the garden with the beauty of the harvest season! Did you miss your chance to take photos in Gethsemane’s Praise Pumpkin Patch in October? It’s not too late! The memorial garden Praise Pumpkin Patch will stay set up for photos on Sunday, November 7 for All Saints/Affirmation of Baptism.