Saturday, December 9, 6-8 pm, Gethsemane Lawn
Warm your hearts by singing carols of the season together around a campfire while enjoying warm drinks. Meet on the Gethsemane lawn outside of the gym around the fire for hot cocoa, coffee, cider, and carols, of course! Bring a blanket or lawn chair. You are welcome to bring a sack supper or eat beforehand.
Wednesdays in Advent: Dec. 6, 13, 20
Dinner and Advent Devotions: 6 pm
Holden Evening Prayer: 7 pm
Join us for each week for dinner, devotions, and a brief midweek Holden Evening Prayer worship service to fill your heart with the sights and sounds of hope this Advent season!
Come at 6 pm to enjoy a soup dinner and community Advent devotional time studying “The Dawn Chorus” Advent devotional book. Then attend the Holden Evening Prayer Service at 7 pm. Written in 1985-1986 while Marty Haugen was the musician-in-residence at Holden Village, a Lutheran retreat center in Washington State, this lovely setting of vespers follows the traditional form while using contemporary and inclusive language.
Wednesdays: December 6, December 13 & December 20
6 pm Advent devotions in the Narthex
7 pm prayer service in the Sanctuary or via Livestream
It’s that time of year again! Gethsemane Lutheran members and families are invited to continue a neighborhood holiday tradition by sponsoring T.A. Brown Elementary School children and families. Once again, we’re asking individuals/families to donate gift cards that can be purchased through Gethsemane Lutheran Children’s Ministry (GLCM).
Angel Tree Instructions
- Visit the Angel Tree Sign Up and select a family dinner, blanket, and/or a child to sponsor. Provide your name, email, and phone number.
- Once you have signed up, purchase gift cards from either HEB (for family dinners) or Target/Walmart (for children’s gifts). For the blanket, give a check or $15 cash, do not buy a gift card. Please bring your gift card and/or money to Pastor Susie or Dar in an envelope labeled with the Angel number, the name of the family and/or child, and your name.
- Recommended amounts: children’s gifts $50 each and family dinners: families of 3 at least $75, families of 4-5 at least $100, and families of 6-8 at least $175.
- The deadline to complete your Angel Tree gift is Sunday, December 17th.
Thank you for your support of this ministry. Merry Christmas!
Free Advent Devotional Available to Gethsemane Members
Pick up a copy in the Narthex beginning November 19 or check G-News for a downloadable version.
Songbirds know a thing or two about singing into darkness: in the wee hours of the morning, before the sun appears over the horizon, they begin a great symphony that scientists call the “dawn chorus.”
Advent is the church’s dawn chorus. In this devotional designed for families of all shapes and sizes, we walk with scripture through the season’s four weeks of hope, peace, joy, and love, singing into shadows and looking to the light.
January 12-14, 2024
Eagle Pass, TX
Join this special “encounter” or “encuentro” weekend for Gethsemane and San Lucas congregations to work side by side and expand our vision of ministry together. San Lucas is celebrating their 36-year history and Gethsemane has been a part of that ministry for over 27 years.
View the printed mission trip brochure.
- All are “Called by Grace,” to participate: youth, singles, couples, those with and without children, from the very young to the not-so-young. There is something for all levels of ability. Youth under 18 are asked to have a parent or guardian along for the weekend experience.
- “Led by Faith, Welcoming All to Share God’s Love” – This is a great opportunity to work, worship, eat, and share together with the community of San Lucas.
- “God’s Work. Our Hands” – Saturday we will be working alongside members of San Lucas. Your special gifts will be to be put to use. Part of the group will do a modified Bible School experience in the afternoon with the children in the area. We will worship in Spanish Sunday morning. Be ready for some special fun this year!
Passports or birth certificates will NOT be needed as we will not be crossing the border as a group!
For any questions, speak to Pastor Susie or Dar Joy Krenek.
- Friday arrival and check-in at hotel
- Saturday breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided at San Lucas
- Saturday work projects will begin after breakfast
- Sunday breakfast provided, followed by worship
WHAT TO BRING
- Snacks, games, and goodies for sharing
- Musical instruments
We will be using the building and outdoor areas at Iglesia Luterana San Lucas for meals, VBS, and other activities BUT we will not be sleeping there. Please make your reservations at one of the motels close by. San Lucas is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, Southwest Texas Synod, in Eagle Pass, Texas.
The cost listed below for the weekend includes supplies for the work we do, and 4 meals: Saturday breakfast through Sunday breakfast (travel meals are on your own).
Cash or Check Cost (add $5 per registration to pay online):
$50 per person, ages 13 and above;
$25 per person, ages 4-12 (3 & under are free!)
$125 suggested maximum per family.
*Please make checks payable to Gethsemane Lutheran.
Payment is due by Jan. 8th.
OTHER WAYS TO HELP
Special gifts may be given to help with project supplies and to support the ministries of San Lucas. All financial gifts are appreciated. Give online designating Border Missions.
You can view previous worship services, conversations with Pastor Gronberg, and events anytime from our Gethsemane Austin Facebook page.
Watch recordings of the livestream worship services.